alicejanell

Alice Janell

Whovian Browncoat. Fantasy author. Avid knitter and pretend cooking show host. Please send Milky Way Midnight Minis.

Magic Bites (Kate Daniels, Book 1)

Magic Bites -  Ilona Andrews At the pressuring of Cid and Suzan, I finally started this series. Just in time, too, since it's our Series Fix for the month.

Now, I had to rush-read "Magic Bites", which may affect my review slightly. But only slightly. I had to rush-read because of a two-day typhoon and a day without power left me unable to upload the book onto my eReader until just the other day. But anyway...

I have to be honest though. Going in to "Magic Bites", I expected to be wow'ed. Cid and Suzan rave about this series, but it took me awhile to really get into this book. Perhaps because this is the first book in the series, but it just took me a good 50 pages or so to really start to get into it.

First off, the world is a strange mix between technology and magic. This is a future version of Atlanta, and while I thought it was really cool and interesting, I never found out why the world was this way. Ilona Andrews just sort of immerse the reader in this world without a lot of world building and back story. One minute I'm trying to get introduced to the lead, Kate Daniels, the next there are spider monsters and weird vampires and bodiless voices...

It was just a little hard to process and instead of intriguing me to read more and learn more, I wanted to put the book down and come back when I had more patience.

That said...I'm glad I stuck with the book. I enjoyed reading and discovering the details about Kate's life. Though the first half of the book was a bit slow for my taste, the second half ensured that I will continue reading the series.

A good book, but a slow start. Keep on it though, it gets better.

Three stars.