alicejanell

Alice Janell

Whovian Browncoat. Fantasy author. Avid knitter and pretend cooking show host. Please send Milky Way Midnight Minis.

City of Bones (Mortal Instruments)

City of Bones  - Cassandra Clare I tried really hard not to let my previous knowledge of the author’s background to influence how I read and rated this book. Despite this, I admit that what I know about Cassandra Clare did affect how I read the book – but I still thoroughly enjoyed City of Bones.

While it’s almost plainly obvious that Clare borrowed from other books (Harry Potter, most notably), it’s still an engaging read. I’m not sure if this is because there is enough original material in the story to make it that way or if it’s because I am just obsessed with Harry Potter so much that I’m automatically going to enjoy a book that’s pretty similar.

City of Bones is the first book of the Mortal Instruments trilogy and it follows fifteen-year-old Clarissa “Clary” Fray as she discovers she’s not nearly as normal as she thought she was. Thrust into a world of demons, vampires, werewolves and demon hunters known as Shadowhunters, Fray not only discovers the truth of her past, but the truth of her parents as well.

OK, even though I really liked City of Bones, I have to admit that a lot of the plot was pretty predictable and there was even some blatant foreshadowing peppered in. However, Clare manages a spectacular spin on a twist that I perhaps should have seen coming, but didn’t. It changes the dynamics of Clary and her friends and I’m eager to see how it plays out in the next two books.

Clare delivers a fast-paced plot that readers who enjoyed the Harry Potter series will enjoy. I put this book somewhere between the epic awesomeness that is Harry Potter and the utter crap that is Twilight. A solid three stars for being a good read, but not overly original.

Read it, but don’t go in with high expectations and just enjoy it for what it is – a light, but fast-paced YA urban fantasy.

Get your fix.