alicejanell

Alice Janell

Whovian Browncoat. Fantasy author. Avid knitter and pretend cooking show host. Please send Milky Way Midnight Minis.

Magic in the Blood (Allie Beckstrom, Book 2)

Magic in the Blood - Devon Monk The second installment of Devon Monk's Allie Beckstrom series picks up right where book one left off. I will do my best to omit spoilers, but some details from book one may spill into this review.

After clearing her name, Allie just wants life to go back to normal, whatever normal is. Allie doesn't remember anything of the recent events in her life, including her relationship with a man who she supposedly loved (loves?) -- Zavyion Jones.

All Allie wants is to go back to doing what she does best: Hounding. But between trying to piece her life together, seeing the ghost of her dead dad in her bathroom, meeting up with a dangerous ex-con and working with a secret group of magic police, Allie soon finds herself smack dab in the middle of danger.

...so maybe life went back to normal after all.

Throughout Magic in the Blood, Monk reveals a little more of some details mentioned at the end of book one as well as information regarding Allie's father and his empire. There is a new group of Hounds, each one intriguing. They all have different ways of coping with the effects of magic -- cutting, pill popping, alcohol, etc. Despite their flaws, they work together to protect their own, and I can't wait to read more about them throughout the rest of the series.

The romance between Allie and Zayvion hasn't changed much since book one, which was a little disappointing. However, given that Allie doesn't remember Zayvion at all, it's understandable that Allie would tread the same "I don't fully trust you, no matter how much I want to jump your bones" waters she did in book one.

Watch out for the last third of this book. There is action and plot coming out the ying yang as Allie deals with the dangers of blood magic and the possibility that a friend is behind a series of kidnappings.

Monk's writing style is fluid and captivating. Magic in the Blood is a return to a gritty, unglamorous and dangerous world of magic with a heroine, who, despite her flaws, is as kick ass as they come.

Like this review? Get your fix:Book-Addicts.com.