alicejanell

Alice Janell

Whovian Browncoat. Fantasy author. Avid knitter and pretend cooking show host. Please send Milky Way Midnight Minis.

and Falling, Fly

and Falling, Fly - Skyler White Skyler White’s debut novel and Falling, Fly is a dark fantasy romance about vampires who are really fallen angels.
I purchased this autographed copy of the book because the cover was intriguing and the excerpt on the back cover piqued my curiosity.

However, despite what seemed to be a very promising novel from a debut author, I just could not fully get into and Falling, Fly.

The book follows Olivia, a fallen angel of desire who feeds on blood, like a vampire. Olivia has wandered the world in search of a loophole to rid her of her curse and bring her salvation. We are also introduced to Dominic, a scientist plagued by visions of past lives.

I wanted to love this book. I really did. The idea behind this group of vampires being fallen angels of desire was unique. The plot, if there was one, was buried beneath elaborate, over-the-top prose and a lot of jumping around between the two main characters. One minute you’re reading in first person, the next you’re reading in third. This wouldn’t have been so bad if it wasn’t occurring every 500 words or so.

I will be very honest and admit that I did not finish White’s book. Despite two weeks of trying (and let’s face it, I should have been able to read this book in a day or two at the rate I normally read), I just gave up.  I kept hoping that when Olivia and Dominic finally came together, the novel would begin to make more sense and the plot would reveal itself.

Nope.

The prose was interesting to read. I won’t deny that White writes some amazing prose, but at the same time it was just so dramatic and preachy. I think I actually rolled my eyes several times – I mean, we get it, OK? You write beautifully, but you’re trying too hard and it shows.

This book had lots of potential. But I feel as though White tried too hard to set and Falling, Fly apart from other dark fantasy books. What she ended up with was 352 pages of confusing text…of which I managed to read just over half before I gave up and moved onto something else.

White has a second novel entitled In Dreams Begin that is being released in November. It looks as promising as and Falling, Fly, but hopefully it’s not as disappointing. I may or may not give it a try.

I feel a bit guilty that I wasn’t able to finish the book. Therefore, you’re free to take this review with a grain of salt. Since I couldn’t finish it, maybe you can…maybe you’ll even like it.

Like this review? Get your fix:Book-Addicts.com.