alicejanell

Alice Janell

Whovian Browncoat. Fantasy author. Avid knitter and pretend cooking show host. Please send Milky Way Midnight Minis.

Stay the Night (Darkyn, Book 7)

Stay the Night - Lynn Viehl The seventh and final book in the Darkyn series by Lynn Viehl centers around Robin Hood -- as a vampire.

Robin of Locksley is introduced earlier in the series, but it's not until "Stay the Night" does he truly come to the foreground as a major character with his own story. When I was reading the Darkyn series, I was most excited about "Stay the Night", especially after reading "Evermore", the fifth book in the series.

Throughout the series, Viehl has created some really great, interesting characters. One of my favorite things about each Darkyn book has been the subtle connection of characters and how they interact with one another.

As I mentioned, I was really excited to read this book, not only because it was the final Darkyn book, but because it features Robin Hood as a vampire.

The book also centers on FBI agent Chris Renshaw, who is tracking down an art thief known as "The Magician" -- Robin. When the artifact Robin stole is stolen from him, he joins forces with Chris and as the danger escalates, the two face some difficult decisions. Along with the romance between Chris and Robin, is the story arc that spans all seven books; in "Stay the Night" the mystery surrounding the Brethren is revealed.

While this book is just as dynamic as the previous six, there were some things that disappointed me. The biggest problem I had with this book was that it jumped around a lot. This is not unusual for this series, which is told through multiple view points, but I did feel the "jumping from character to character" more so in this book than with any other in the series. Though we're familiar with all of the characters from previous books, I felt that jumping from Robin's story with Chris to the other Darkyn featured in the book (Michael and Alex, Richard, Phillip, etc) took away from a story that was supposed to be all about Robin.

Of course, this could just be me being selfish.

There is a lot going on plotwise in this book. Sometimes, I confess, I felt like I was reading two books smooshed into one. The ending sets up the spin off series, Kyndred, superbly.

I did have one big, big, big problem with the ending. There is a HEA, but at the same time I was expecting something completely different. It's difficult to explain without revealing spoilers, but those of you who have read it can probably guess to what I'm alluding to.

Overall, it's another fantastically wonderful read by Lynn Viehl. Viehl is a solid, strong writer who does not disappoint.

Four stars.